617 engine turbo drain seal

Hi,

I have a 617 Engine in an 83 300D turbo. I need to replace the turbo drain grommet and upper seal at the turbo. I cannot figure out how to remove the bolts that hold thge upper oil return tube and its seal to the turbo body. I know it can be done without removing the turbo itself, I just need to know how to do it or what tool is best.

Any help would be most appreciated.

Thanks,

JMH

Reply to
JMH

Hi,

Yes, it is bolted to the underside of the turbo... thats the hard part. I know its doable, but dont know how to get the bolts out without removign the turbo. It has been leaking worse and worse, and I have a bit of free time, so want to take scare of it so that my car will no longer leak.

Is the job really that bad? I have seen numerous references to this being a medium level DIY job, just requiring dropping the pan. I know working with those o-rings is a pain...

Any other words of wisdom or advice before I do this early tomorrow?

Thanks very much,

JMH

snipped-for-privacy@NoHamOrSpamcomcast.net (T.G. Lambach) wrote in :

Reply to
JMH

Suggest you look at

They have an archive as well as some stored articles. I recall reading an article about this very job I believe without dropping the pan. Also check
or some url close to that.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach