7 SPEED AUTO versus 5 SPEED AUTO

"Tiger" haute in die Tasten:

From what I've heard, the 7 speed gearbox is capable to make a downshift over two gears at once, while a 5 speed gearbox can only do a downshift by one gear at a time. So downshifts by several gears can take a little bit longer with a 5 speed than with a 7 speed.

This shift speed advantage may not be necessary with cars with really big engines, as they have enough power to handle almost any driving situation with a one gear downshift. Shifting down further (with full throttle) may only wake up the traction control, if you have 500 HP under the bonnet;-)

Frank

Reply to
Frank Kemper

The original CVT's used a belt that was not capable of handling high torque. Modern implementations, such as those in the Audi's, Nissan Murano, and Saturn VUE, use a metal chain that is capable of handling as much torque as any commercial engine can output.

Reply to
Rodney T. Grill

I am very excited about the new World 7Gtronic Transmission! It has 2 more gears than most conventional transmissions, and this has countless benefits:

Lower RPMs to reduce fuel consumption, and drastically increase the life of the engine reduces engine wear optimal performance, buy keeping the RPM in peak Torque Rapid Downshift, including multiple gears better engine management: ride and feel!

I wish my car had one...but I'm stuck with the old 5'er (oh poor me eh? - these tran's ARE STILL AMAZING!)

I think these will be way better than the CVT's as there are numerous long term problems they will produce...but far more to the point, they kill the drive. And isn't that what a Mercedes is all about? The Mercedes Benz Ride: Like no other!

They are currently only available on the larger engine, soley due to power outputs, but as with everything, expect to see them all over - including manuel versions...but as usual...:(...I'll have to cross the pond if I want to see it first!

yours,

muchly.

Reply to
yoursmuchly