77 123 280E prop shaft vibration or am I missing something?

So..
I replaced the front rubber flexi drive, I've replaced the centre bearing and carrier and now I've swapped out the whole prop. for another known good one.
Result, I still get some vibration through the floor that I can feel/hear. Any further suggestions would maybe show me what I'm missing. I'm struggling to know what to do now. The cars done 110k miles.
Cheers... Rob.
So...
I changed the front rubber flexi drive, the centre bearing and carrier, and now I've swapped the whole prop for a known good 2nd hand unit. I still get some vibration through the floor that I can hear/feel. Any more suggestions? Am I missing something??
Cheers... Rob.
Hi Rob,
Check the motor's mounts, including the one under the transmission.
Tom
Hello Tom
Long time since I've been posting. Guess that's due to 21st Century life and the fact that the things been so reliable.. Anyway this ones starting to niggle, and I'd hate the prop to do something nasty under my backside at 70mph.
I'll start with the rear motor mount since that's quite easy to do. More news as it comes.
Cheers... Rob.

I have an 86 560SL with a vibration at about 2000 rpm in fourth (high) gear. Feels like it is too rapid for tire imbalance. The local foreign car shop said the tires were "grossly out of balance" but after rebalance vibration was still there. Then they replaced motor mounts, "both sides". Vibration is still there. Is there a rear mount on the transmission in this car? Would that be the problem?

Half the time when I finally solve a "weird vibration" problem it's the tires. If you've tested and rules out tires then I'd look at the driveshaft flex disk and bearing carrier as beig the next most likely cause.
If your shop replaced motor mounts to fix this they've never worked on a Mercedes before (successfully). Get it out of these quick and into the hands of somebody who has seen one before.
Have you found the sourse of the vibration
Rob. Smith wrote:

I have recently puchased a E430 1999 which exhibits the same vibration problem, 52,000 KLM on this car It is like new. Replaced tires balanced and aligned by mercedes dealership all no help. After a test drive with gthe service manager at a Mercedes dealership. He admitts that this is a common problem on all E class built and they do not Know how to fix it. I have a hard time imagining that customer could live with this droning noise which peaks at 100 to100 kln or 60 to 70 MPH The service manager claims to have done all that on another vehicle and it did not fix the problem either.

martin schuhmann wrote:

vibration
help.
dealership. He

do not

droning
and it

hand
I also get the droning (struming) on my 89 E-Series
This must be that modern new digigtal vibration that differes from the old fashioned analog vibration in that it can never be deteced or repaired.
Bah.
SOmething is vibrating under load. Careful observation of the car at load in a test setup will let you identify the source of the vibration, once found, merely knowing what it is will let you cure it.
You can't expect a 77 123 to have no vibration unlesss you've replaced all the rubber.
Try new wheels and tires on the E and see what happens.

Check the motor and transmission mounts.
Check your tyres for flat-spots. Unbalanced, out of round, or flat spotted tiers are notorious for odd vibrations.
Joe
said:

I have since jacked up the car and run the motor drivetrain in forth gear and the vibration is definitely caused by the drive shaft. the exhaust pipes vibrate dramaticly. I have added weights to the drive shaft and this has changed the point at which the vibration peaks. Does anyone know what the runout on the driveshaft is? I measure a 6 thousand runout on the shafts. this car has only 60,000KLM front and rear near the flex couplings