77 123 280E prop shaft vibration or am I missing something?

So..

I replaced the front rubber flexi drive, I've replaced the centre bearing and carrier and now I've swapped out the whole prop. for another known good one. Result, I still get some vibration through the floor that I can feel/hear. Any further suggestions would maybe show me what I'm missing. I'm struggling to know what to do now. The cars done 110k miles.

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

So...

I changed the front rubber flexi drive, the centre bearing and carrier, and now I've swapped the whole prop for a known good 2nd hand unit. I still get some vibration through the floor that I can hear/feel. Any more suggestions? Am I missing something??

Cheers... Rob.

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Hi Rob,

Check the motor's mounts, including the one under the transmission.

Tom

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Check the motor and transmission mounts.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

Hello Tom

Long time since I've been posting. Guess that's due to 21st Century life and the fact that the things been so reliable.. Anyway this ones starting to niggle, and I'd hate the prop to do something nasty under my backside at 70mph.

I'll start with the rear motor mount s>Hi Rob,

Reply to
Rob. Smith

Check your tyres for flat-spots. Unbalanced, out of round, or flat spotted tiers are notorious for odd vibrations.

Joe

Reply to
Sifeba

I have an 86 560SL with a vibration at about 2000 rpm in fourth (high) gear. Feels like it is too rapid for tire imbalance. The local foreign car shop said the tires were "grossly out of balance" but after rebalance vibration was still there. Then they replaced motor mounts, "both sides". Vibration is still there. Is there a rear mount on the transmission in this car? Would that be the problem?

Reply to
Bill Bunn

I have recently puchased a E430 1999 which exhibits the same vibration problem, 52,000 KLM on this car It is like new. Replaced tires balanced and aligned by mercedes dealership all no help. After a test drive with gthe service manager at a Mercedes dealership. He admitts that this is a common problem on all E class built and they do not Know how to fix it. I have a hard time imagining that customer could live with this droning noise which peaks at 100 to100 kln or 60 to 70 MPH The service manager claims to have done all that on another vehicle and it did not fix the problem either.

Reply to
martin schuhmann

vibration

dealership. He

droning

I also get the droning (struming) on my 89 E-Series

Reply to
Thom

Half the time when I finally solve a "weird vibration" problem it's the tires. If you've tested and rules out tires then I'd look at the driveshaft flex disk and bearing carrier as beig the next most likely cause.

If your shop replaced motor mounts to fix this they've never worked on a Mercedes before (successfully). Get it out of these quick and into the hands of somebody who has seen one before.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

This must be that modern new digigtal vibration that differes from the old fashioned analog vibration in that it can never be deteced or repaired.

Bah.

SOmething is vibrating under load. Careful observation of the car at load in a test setup will let you identify the source of the vibration, once found, merely knowing what it is will let you cure it.

You can't expect a 77 123 to have no vibration unlesss you've replaced all the rubber.

Try new wheels and tires on the E and see what happens.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Reply to
Martin Schuhmann