78 300SD in 84 300D Body

I have this weird problem where the car is consuming way too much fuel I am getting about 7-8 KM/lt on the highway. Roughly about 16 MPG.

Recent work that has been done on the car is complete head and injector pump change.

Checked cam timing at 0 deg it lines right up with the mark. Pump timing is a wee beet retarted only about 3 degrees.

I am thinking this could be the Alda had been tampered with but the metal cap is on it? Could there be anything else in the car causing this? Is it possible the Alda is bad? The switch over valve on the firewall? Vaccum line plugged or low maybe?

As well the car runs hot over 80 usually around 90 but this is the radiator and it is winter anyway so the heat is kinda nice :)

Thanks Jay

Reply to
ih8lag

Let's review the cam and IP timing.

When the engine is turned by its crank, not its cam, to the point where the notch in the thrust collar is aligned with the groove cut into the left front cam support, you say the reading on the harmonic damper is 00 degrees. Good.

You say the IP timing is a bit retarded at 3 degrees. I'm puzzled by that. How are you measuring that?

The start of delivery should begin at 24 degrees (+/- 1 degree) BTDC.

Given the engine's recent history and these symptoms, I suspect that your IP timing is, in fact 27 degrees retarded; that would well account for the poor fuel economy and cause lame acceleration.

If this is the case, to correct the IP's timing, the engine should be turned to 24 degrees BTDC BEFORE the IP is removed. The IP's drive gear has an intentionally missing tooth. That gap should be aligned with a groove cut into the collar immediately behind the IP's drive gear and the pump reinstalled. The IP's mounting flange is designed to allow small adjustments while the IP is on the engine - turning toward the engine advances the timing, away retards.

The ALDA is tied into the turbo's boost pressure and adds fuel at high engine loads - acceleration. Pray that your ALDA hasn't been "adjusted" by some moron for adjustment can break it. The trade off is between power and exhaust smoke, a delicate balance that's achieved on a bench at the factory - not in someone's back yard.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

There may be enough adjustment in the pump to allow rotating it to the proper timing without removing it.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

Yall way off! Itz youre neighbor Aldo whut is comin ova at nite an borrowin a bit of yer fuel. An ya don't know he iz helpin hiself ta yer fuel, so ya thinks its tha engine whut is eatin too much fuel. So ya jist goes ova to tha neighbor an borries tha fuel bak and all iz well!

mcbrue explainingtechnicaly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river

96 S420
Reply to
mcbrue

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

Depending on the current alignment of the pump, the 3 deg error could be corrected without removing the pump.

Reply to
Chas Hurst

I set the IP timing the other night car smokes no where near as much. Its too early to tell to see what the mileage is like.

I assume is is better because the guage is not moving as much.

Thanks Everyone.

Reply to
ih8lag