'78 W123 240D

I have 240D engine shelled from ingestion of foriegn object and need a new engine. Two questions:
1. Are OEM 616 diesels available from MB, and; 2. What should one pay for a good used engine?
I know the last question is difficult, but in this case the propsective engine is from a crashed 240D that is in salvage at a highly regarded Mercedes-Benz shop. I have not yet received a price quote from the shop and am trying to get an idea as to typical price, in order to evaluate whether or not it is feasible to replace the engine.
All assistance will be appreciated.

Yeah they're about 6K.

$500-$1500
On Jan 26, 10:34 am, snipped-for-privacy@news.vrx.net (Richard Sexton) wrote:

Yes, this is what I am finding. I am tempted to go with the new one, just because the car itself is very low total miles, and would be worth it in the long run.
Thanks very much for the information.
Randall Brink
If you are around Texas and get rid of it let me know, if you keep it, I would put a 300 D in it, I have had both 240's and 300's favor the 300 myself. A 280 gas motor would fit that as well, but would need a little conversion plus you would have to get a motor and tranny . Don't bother rebuilding the motor tho is the bottom line, they are too plentiful and just about indestructable to start playing with a damaged block. A good junk yard will let you have one for about 150.00 I knew one in Ca. that would install it for an extra 100.00 Jim

Easiest is get a used good engine. Otherwise, rebuild it. Rebuilt engine can be had for about $2700 plus core. Rebuilding is cheaper.
Depending on the damage... if only cylinder sleeve is bad... get it resleaved, reuse old piston with new rings... and have valvebody rebuilt... Any competent machine shop can do it for you. That's assuming you can take out the engine.
Otherwise, you are better off used engine and have someone put it in.

The problem with this one is that some idiot put after-market glow plugs in. The wires were too long and, purportedly (I haven't actually looked into the cylinder since the head was removed) the wire ends broke, went into the head and (somehow) found their way into the lower end of the engine and caused irrepairable damage. Frankly, I do not know how it is possible that both the upper and lower was damaged--I am developing a theory that the damage may have been separate problems; howewver, a reliable shop has declared the engine shelled, and thus these questions.
It is a true shame on a 240D with only 68K to have something like this happen.
Many thanks for the advice, information and assistance.

Huh?
It may be easier to find a 300D engine than a 240 because (i) 240s are favored for other uses which drains their limited inventory and (ii) there were more 300D cars imported. However, I recall that you love 240s so how about a rebuilt motor?
http://www.mercedesengines.net/products.asp?cat #
permission.
On Jan 26, 11:48 am, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

The problem I'm encountering now, is that I haven't the time to deal with this now that it has become a problem beyond the removal of the head and dealing with the #1 cylinder issue(s). I am tempted now to try and forget this unfortunate and senseless episode and look for another mint-condition 240D.
Thanks a lot for the help and advice.
Randall Brink