'79 240D Ring Gear repaired

I post this in case it's useful for anyone else with this problem. I posted earlier about the ring gear slipping on the flywheel to which it is attached by friction fit.
The ring gear was not cracked or damaged in any way. So, usually this means a new flywheel. Hard to find it seems. So, I took the ring gear and flywheel to a welder and the welded the ring gear to the flywheel along the leading edge where they meet then ground the weld down to make sure it would not interfere.
It's installed now and works like a charm. Thanks for the ideas from several of you for dealing with this. I hope this helps someone in future. Steve
What a good outcome, thanks for the information.
permission.
How did he balance it?

Well . . . the truth is he didn't. The welder made four separate welds. We carefully made sure they were all 90 degrees apart on center and of equal length (about 2 inches). Beyond that, no balancing. So it's probably not perfect (given the possibility of a slightly larger weld bead) but it's good enough. I just got back this evening and was on the highway cruising at 75mph and she purrs and flies. Smooth idle too.
Also, I forgot to mention that at each weld point we ground a "V" into the metal where the ring gear and flywheel meet so the weld bead could be large enough to hold even when ground flat afterwards. There is little clearance to the engine so it can't stick up much.