'79 300TD / W123 oil leak

There's oil leaking around the 'vent' in the top of the valve cover that has a hose leading to the air cleaner. Is there any way that I can stop that from happening? My mechanic indicates only that, "oh, lots of these cars do that," but I'd really like to stop it as part of my quest to stop whatever leak is stinking up the passenger compartment while I'm driving around...

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Tom, the oil is 'blow-by' from piston rings that aren't sealing perfectly anymore.... the only way to fix this oil problem is therefore to fix the blow-by.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

I'm not too worried about oil being there in the system, more about it leaking down the valve cover and onto the exhaust. If I pull the hose, is there a sealer I can put on there that'll be ok to use? Unfortunately, my former reference for these sorts of questions passed away a few years ago, I didn't pay attention well enough when I was younger to what is used to seal where, so these days I usually slide hoses on and clamp 'em down and hope they don't leak. ;)

Pulling the engine to put new rings in sounds like a fun job, but one I am at present entirely ill-equipped to do. :(

thx,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

Tom, there are hose clamps on my hose at either end. Just the simple kind that open (losen) by squeezing with pliers.

cheers, guenter

Reply to
Guenter Scholz