'81 240D only going 74mph...

Page 2 of 2
I currently have a '74 240D (Automatic) that can get to 80+ (downhill, of course) MPH. The single largest improvement in the engine's behavior came
from using Lubro-Molly's Diesel Purge. I highly recommend it to anyone that drives an older Diesel-engined vehicle. I also use Lubro-Molly's Diesel "Hi-Test" when unable to fuel up at my local decent-quality station.
Regards,
- Bill

After running my car for about 200km on canola oil it don't smoke anymore, interesting... cp

Were any mods required for you to run your Diesel MB on Canola, CP?
- Bill

None at all, due to the nature of the diesel system. However, the glycerin can leave the injectors coated and that's not good, that's why in pure veg oil operations the car is started and switched off on diesel and run in between on veg oil.
cp

You should get this book, there are a number of options.
(Amazon.com product link shortened)573&link_code=as1
Driving on straight veg oil is not the best option, have to get the oil free and remove the crud and glycerine. Amongst other options, the book explains how, to build your own biodiesel processor.
http://www.greasecar.com http://www.biodieselamerica.org
cp
How much does it cost you for veg oil?
How does the veg oil MPG compare to #2 diesel?
--

Roger Shoaf

1.07CAD / Liter, diesel is 1CAD, of course I could buy it in bulk
I'm going to take a look at getting the oil used for cattle feed, it's the same as biodiesel

Not sure about that, I haven't noticed any difference, will need to experiment more, if I can get it cheap the MPG won't matter, unless it takes noticably more... cp

7% more for veg oil and that includes no road tax. I wonder what it would cost to by the oil in 55 Gallon drums. Seems to me buying it 1 liter at a time you are paying way too much for the packaging.
--

Roger Shoaf

For sure. But I bought 16 liters at a time. I phoned some suppliers and asked for a discount, told them I'd buy more oil in one order than a supermarket :-) but still no discount, but that was only one supplier. Many options, just no time to try. Will let you know how I do... cp