'81 300D: Alternator pulley alignment?

Hi all,
My '81 300D is eating alternator belts, and it appears to be a pulley alignment issue. The pulley cheeks are all in pretty good shape, and the belt is wearing out on *one side only* - on close inspection, it
seems to be because it's being pulled out over one side of the pulley lip too much which is grinding into the side of the belt. The fan and driveshaft pulleys appear to be correctly aligned, but the alternator is sitting too far back for some reason. Anyone have a trick for getting it lined back up? Do I need a spacer, etc?
Thanks, Andy Evans
'81 300D: Alternator pulley alignment? Group: alt.auto.mercedes Date: Fri, Dec 5, 2003, 9:00am (EST-3) From: snipped-for-privacy@inetone.net (AndrewEvans) Hi all, My '81 300D is eating alternator belts, and it appears to be a pulley alignment issue. The pulley cheeks are all in pretty good shape, and the belt is wearing out on *one side only* - on close inspection, it seems to be because it's being pulled out over one side of the pulley lip too much which is grinding into the side of the belt. The fan and driveshaft pulleys appear to be correctly aligned, but the alternator is sitting too far back for some reason. Anyone have a trick for getting it lined back up? Do I need a spacer, etc? Thanks, Andy Evans xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx brackets don't change though i have seen them put on backwards or interchanged with the wrong one.
motor blocks sure don't but spacers do get lost.
first see if you can find the same car and wip out your trusty tape and measure it at every point. i bet you got the wrong alt. it don't take much of an off set to eat belts
case
the case, minus a few cans!