'81 300D ignition switch problem

New here... would appreciate any advice... and thank you much in advance...
We "inherited" a lovely 81 300D... we've got that known problem with the
vacuum system (she won't stop w/out using the stop lever in the engine), but we've noticed lately that *starting* her is becoming horrid.
If we lock the steering wheel when turning the 300D off, the ignition key switch is sticky as hell---takes a lot of turning and finageling to get it to turn to past the "1" position. Today it won't turn at all.... would we have to replace the ignition switch, or is this associated with the known vacuum problem?
Thanks much! Rubertos
You have to replace the entire steering lock assembly... it is probably the reason for vacuum leak also. Spray soime WD-40 into the lock hole and try hard to get the position to on... and do not turn it back off again... Otherwise, it would be a nightmare and $400 labor fee to remove it.
Wiggle your key in any way to get it to turn on.

the
Thanks MUCH!
I managed to get that sucker back to on.... and that makes a whole lotta sense about the steering locking/vacuum connection.!
Now, just disconnect your battery until you can get a new unit... they should have it in stock... the tumbler however has to be ordered... not long for wait time though... and they even give you a new key. Bring your proof of ownership and VIN to order.