'81 380 SL- double timing chain

I just got it and it runs great and sounds fine at 115k miles, but no service records. My mechanic says I have a single timing chain, but he doesn't see any reason to check it from the performance and sound aspects. It will take $400 to just remove the cover to check it out. Am I being paranoid? Should I pay $$$$$$ to swap in the double timing chain? I heard it was a 40 hr job. Heard it used to be a free swap at the MB dealers, but no longer. What's the truth and what's hyperbole?

Chip

Reply to
Chip Wood

This is subjective and from a non mechanical point of view but.......

Would it not be worth paying the $400 for peace of mind? Especially if it's a car you intend to keep for any extended period of time?

Alan M.

Reply to
Alan M

At the least, I would just pay to have that chain replaced with another single chain and do it every 75,000 miles... if you ever drive that long... otherwise, it is pretty much one time job.

Reply to
Tiger

Reply to
Rockman59