81-85 300 TDT vs DT

Hi,

I have been searching for an '81-'85 300 DT. I've come upon a '81

300TDT with 175000 miles for $2000US. I think the price is a little high, but the guy has done a lot of front end and suspension work, as well as fluids, hose and belt replacements.

I'm looking for reasons as to why I should get a wagon versus the coupe/sedan.

I've search this group, and will keep sifting thru the search results, but it appears the TDT has similar issues relative to the DT.

TIA,

Mark

Reply to
MK

Both models use the same engine and transmission. The wagon has a hydro pneumatic rear suspension which includes a hydraulic pump on the motor's cylinder head. More things to break; OK if you need a wagon, otherwise opt for a sedan.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

'round here the TDs tend to start at $5000 due to "desirablilty."

Myself, I wanted a wagon and I'd been looking for a long time. When one came around that was listed for $2800 I went to look and bought it for $2500. There are some fairly common issues with it and I'm slowly fixing it up, but wow if you could get one for $2k you could resell it in California for twice that if it's driveable.

...or send me the info and I may do just that! ;)

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket

I bought my '81 300TDT a few years ago, and I love it. It has more room than my Explorer for cargo, 22 MPG (probably more when I do the valves this spring) and it runs and runs and runs. There are only a few around town, and I love the look and ride.

And, it's a conversation piece in it's own right.

Go for it if the style fits ya. There's nothing like going down the highway with that MBZ star in front of ya.

Tweaks

Reply to
tweaks