'82 280SE Exhaust

Two muffler-looking units (one of them a resonator?).. One in front and one behind the rear axle. The front one has developed a loud jangling sound when idling in gear. I suspect the insides are breaking up.

There are 2 exhaust pipes in and out of this unit and it looks relatively easy to remove the resonator (?) and replace with straight exhaust piping. Anyone here done this? Does the front unit have much effect on noise or performance? The rear one looks as big as a truck muffler and appears to be adequately sized to be the main sound muffler.

Don

Reply to
Don & Jane G

Are you sure your muffler rubber mounts are not loose? I would not recommend you to put straight pipe... It really does make a difference in noise and performance.

Reply to
Tiger

Don't do it! The front one is a resonator; the rear is a muffler. You could run without a muffler, using muffler tubing if you want; it'll be louder. But you absolutely don't want to run without a resonator unless chassis vibration if your idea of a good time. It smooths things out.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Thanks, guys

Replacing the resonator as suggested. The mounts are fine but the resonator rattles badly on the inside when it is rapped by hand.

Don

Reply to
Don & Jane G