82 300SD question - electrical

When I turn the key to the right, all the lights in the dash should come on. But only the one on the right side (seatbelts?) does while it beeps. No glow-plugs light, no battery, etc. And of course, the starter doesn't even
respond upon trying to start it. When I turn the key to off, only the battery light comes on, and stays on even after I pull the key out. A mechanic told me that I should push the key hard all the way into the switch, and at first it worked a couple of times but then no. What could be going on?
ps. when, if, the lights come on and I turn the key, the engine starts before even one turn. Thanks for answer(s)
It sounds like the ignition switch is wore out.

"It sounds like the ignition switch is wore out."
Isn't it a major job to remove? Can it be done without the mechanic? I called a place and they said it costs like 30 bucks, not too bad. what d'ya think? btw, thanks for the response/advice - this is a good ng!