83 240D sunroof

This 240 runs fine and is in better than good shape for its age. However the sunroof suddenly stopped working while open, It travels about 2 inches forward then the clutch slips. I have opened up the trunk, have the motor and tail exposed, can turn the clutch adjustment I think, have tried to clean out the track in the roof but have no success moving it further. I know there is a gear to crank it closed but cannot get the inside cover off in its oresent position. I have done that before but with it closed about

50% .

What suggestions ?

can I remove the 'tail' I am guessing that is where the cable goes as it opens. The tail turns freely by hand but seems to have no effect. How can I remove the inside cover as it is now? Is there anything else I can do. I am in Cincinnati Ohio and the weather is turning to winter so I need to accomplish something very soon.

I also have a damaged standard transmission - removed and replaced from this car, if anyone is interested. It is repairable but there is something broken off inside that stops the transimision abruptly so it has to be taken apart at the least.

I also have another 83 240D automatic if anyone is interested, It is reasonable shape, not rusted, from Florida, but the engine is worn out and would like a rebuild or replacement. It runs fine but uses oil and seems to be getting weaker. I have driven it daily for 5 years.

Reply to
Pete