83 240d wiper problem

My wipers suddenly work only on high speed and stop wherever they happen to be in the swipe path when I shut them off.Does this sound like a typical
relay problem? I removed the relay behind the instrument cluster and looked at it but cant tell a thing from a visual. Any help is appreciated.
thanks

It sounds like the wiper motor to me. That's where the switch is that senses the parked position, so the motor keeps going until it gets there. Sounds like that plus the low speed is shot.