83 300 SD rear suspension

I have an 83 300 SD. I have noticed that the rear end seems to be drooping and since I am parting out an 81 300SD that doesn't appear to have this problem, I was wondering the best way to deal with this.
Looking at the underside, it appears that the rear is supported on a sub-frame that carries the A arms. Is the best way to replace the saggy springs to just drop the sub frame and remove the whole unit complete?
Or is there something else that could be causing the rear of the car to droop?
I do not see anything going to the shock absorbers that seem to adjust things, an I missing something here?
--

__
Roger Shoaf

Important factors in selecting a mate:
Springs rest in hard rubber pads which come in various thicknesses (heights). Could be that a pad is wrong or missing.
Old spring will sag... especially in the rear. You might want to consider replacing the springs on all 4 corners. Eibach makes a good comfortable springs for W126 because I installed it... Car is definitely lower but rides so nice and smooth. Steering is sharp.
So what is the easy way to R&R the springs?

rides
There is no easy way... the proper spring compressor makes the job a whole lot easier. You treat the compressed spring as if it were a missile.

Order CORRECT springs.
Get CORRECT spring compressor.
Replace. It's quick and easy with the right tool.

It may need new rubber. It may need new springs. It may need both. Given the age of the car any original rubber is now toast, time to rip the whole thing apart and renew it if you plan on keeping this car for a while.
If not, what color is the interior? :-)
The age of the car has anything to do with conditions? I say not in my case. I bought a 1982 300SD with 105k and every service record, orig window sticker, all orig keys not a ding on the ivory body, a one owner car. . The car looks new. Amazes me. All the rubber is as new. I would not trade it for a new MB or lexus. Unreal car. Its becker grand prix is having a small prob ,it locks up when turned off. so it is going to becker for repair. I have a 83 240d purchased 2 mos earlier. This car was also purchased from orig owner. the guy also had a 76 930 turbo carrera, and garages for 7 cars. This car is is a 9, it has a few door dings. Also has all records, orig paperwork, etc. Aftermarket CD for tunes. Bought the 300sd after driving and enjoying the 240D so much. Richard Sexton wrote:

Yes it still does.. you know why? Because all this time... the weight of the car is on the springs... which will compress... weaken over time... and sag.
No sags yet. The wheel wells have alot of space between the tires and wheel openings. This car has smaller diameter wheels than my 74 convert bug, no sag either.. Both the SD and the 240 have 14" wheels. Nice to have NTB replace all the 240D tires for $300. thats about what I pay for one C5 tire. Tiger wrote:

Thanks guys! Love the older benzes , built like tanks. Took the 300SD on a 600 mi trip. Awesome comfort, best car I have driven. Rides better and is more solid than a new lexus. robrjt wrote:

Sure. Metal wears, rubber ages and collapses. Springs lose complience (which is why there's a test in the manual for this).
The car is near a quarter century old and may need some new parts.
My guess is shot springs and/or worn springpads.