83 300 SD transmission question

My transmission was working fine and then I had a sudden failure.

It would come out of first (or perhaps second) and then into neutral. I drove about 12 miles home on back roads and then I stopped at the post office to pick up my mail. When I restarted the car it shifted.

This just happened, so I am not sure if it will shift tomorrow or not. There was no expensive noises or anything so I assume that this is something minor.

I read Richard Sexton's article about the B2 piston failure, but this doesn't seem to be the same thing (not too sure however).

Any ideas?

Roger Shoaf

83 300 SD
Reply to
Roger Shoaf

It sure sounds like it. Press LIGHTLY on the gas it it will stay in gear. VERY VERY lighttly. Same deal for second. Once in third (or fourth) it'll shift normally.

Welcome to the B2 club.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

I would also check the fluid for any abnormal smell or sediments.

Reply to
Tiger