83 300SD cruise control ???

Tomorrow we're getting ready to leave on a 2000 mile trip and my cruise doesn't work. About a month ago it got intermittent and I had to try several times to get it turn on and then it would be OK. Later it wouldn't
turn on after repeated tries then it turned on at least twice by itself. I'm guessing it was because I was trying to get it to go and it has some kind of memory or a latch relay. The tach is OK and I've got the circuit card out, Part No. 002 545 16 32 and can't see any trace or solder problems with a high power glass. I used to be a radio and TV repairman and into ham radio so I know quite a bit about electronics. I've resolderd the treaces at the plug but that didn't help. I see several electrolytic capacitors and I wonder if they tend to fail? Anyway if anyone can tell me what the common part failures are and could it be elsewhere like the steering column stalk or elsewhere. I tired to post a similar message before I registered but I havene't seen it but if this is repeateing myself, I apologize. 73 Hank WD5JFR
Hank, the most common problem of cruise control failure is the amplifier unit... it is located under the dash near your brake pedal... I have the same problem too and will attempt to repair this also.
They say the most common problem is the solder crack... so I am taking a guess it is at the plug to ciruit board connection. So reflowing should do the trick.
Mercedes Benz Club of America has an excellent article about troubleshooting this.
http://www.mbca.org/pages/tech/MBCA_Troubleshooting_cruise_cont.htm
Let me know how you make out... because I have to do the same on two cars.
I've read that the large capacitor on the logic board is often suspect.
man i wish i had that problem. mine when turned on floors it self and must be turned off with either the brake or the stalk. now an 82 300sd may not be quick but it can make the hair stand up on your neck!
really have no reason to fix it but if some one has an ideas <a cheap one> let me know case
the case, minus a few cans!

I've replaced the amps for both the cruise control and climate control on my 300SD, went thru a couple climate ones.
It reminds me of an old All in the Family episode. Archie was arguing with the meathead about Nixon and Watergate. He told Michael the only mistake Nixon made was he should have hired Japanese instead of Germans (Haldeman, Erhlichman). Michael says WHAT? Archie say, everybody knows the Japanese are better with electonic stuff.