83 300sd engine noise

I've got a noise that seems to be engine speed and load dependant. Under partial throttle acceleration @ 22-2300 rpm I hear a noise from under the hood that sounds like a plastic coach's whistle (little ball bouncing inside the case) but somewhat muted. The noise is more of a plastic clacking rather than a shrill whistle. The noise also seems to be temperature dependant, more likely above 80C on the water temp. The noise diminishes as rpm increases but is still there @3200 rpm and

74 mph. As the the car shifts through the gears, the noise comes and goes as the rpm increase and then drops below 2300. I can give it full throttle and the noise isn't apparent, and I can release throttle at cruise and also make it disappear. At times when the engine is cold and warming up on the highway at 65-70 mph the noise starts while under a constant load as the water temp climbs >80. Any ideas?

Thanks!

Roy

Reply to
Azimuth Aviation

My experience is that odd noises involve the air cleaner's rubber mounts or that its metal support bracket's rear leg is broken from metal fatigue. An easy check is to try to lift the air cleaner - if all is well it won't lift.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

Thanks for your reply. The air cleaner bracket is secure and all mounts are in good shape. Again, this seems rpm and load dependant after the engine is warm. Any other thoughts???

Reply to
Azimuth Aviation

Another idea.

At the aft end of the intake manifold is a "banjo fitting" (which periodically ought to be cleaned) to which a clear plastic hose is attached. That hose goes to an electric powered "switch over valve" on the left firewall and then on to the injection pump.

The purpose is to transmit the turbo's boost pressure to the injection pump so it "knows" to add extra fuel during acceleration. The electric switchover valve is a safety valve to prevent a run away engine.

The turbo's boost pressure starts at about 2,000 rpm and rises to about

10 psi during full acceleration. The occurance of the noise is correlated to the turbo's boost pressure.

I believe the switch over valve (or a hose to it that's split) is the noise that you hear. The valve gets dirty and the rubber hoses to it can split. The electric valve is actuated by a 16 psi sensor in the top rear of the intake manifold - also check the sensor's electrical connection.

An easy test is to by pass the switch over valve - but not permanently.

The valve can be cleaned with carburetor cleaner or similar solvent.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

could be the timing chain tensioner, when it wears out, the chain will slap around, easy to change. mark

Reply to
Islandguy77554