83 300SD shifter ??

My 83 300SD with 119,000 miles is running just fine but I've noticed a noise coming from the gear shift lever epescially in drive and reverse, no noise
in the other slots. The noise is a little like when you try to shift a standard and grind gears but quite subtle and no always there. Any tips or hints appreciated.
--

73
Hank WD5JFR

Sounds like the linkage is vibrating because both bushings are gone.
They are replaceable, but a pain to do. Look under the car on the drivers side, about halfway back from where the engine ends. Up on the side of the trans will be the shift lever and the rod attaches to it and goes back to the floor shifter. Probably both bushings are gone.

Karl Sounds like that's what it is. How long would it take for a failry expereienced diy? tnx
--

73
Hank WD5JFR