83 Turbo diesel 'jerks' under acceleration

I have a 83 300td turbo wagon that I converted to a 4 speed stick shift years ago. Lately, under acceleration, I feel a slight, but pronounced 'jerking', or hesitations, it seems ok under steady power. [at least I can't feel it]

Also seems a bit short on power, compared to the past. Any help appreciated. I am comfortable with making any mechanical adjustments you might suggest.

I am quite sure the banjo fitting is clean.

Reply to
Colton Motor Express #6 Here!

Acceleration uses the maximum amount of fuel. This sounds like fuel starvation.

When were the fuel filters last changed?

Ever check the screen inside the fuel tank?

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

When is the last time the valves were adjusted?

Reply to
DougS

My 240 D has an oscillation if you hit 2nd to slow. I think it starts rocking after it gets a kick from the flywheel, but isn't making enough torque to sustain the acceleration once the clutch snugs up. You can drive thru it with your foot on the floor, or slip the clutch a bit- once the RPM's climb, so does your torque.

You might check your fuel filters the screw on filter could be clogged, and the little one can air bind. An air bind will show itself as hesitation whenever your car points uphill and the bubble shifts and obstructs flow. It takes some dicking around with the hand pump and the filter to shrink that bubble, just look at the stain on my driveway. Diesel does not taste bad, but sucking the air of the filter doesn't work. ;)

My car drove like new after I replaced the screw on filter. I think WVO backfed into my diesel tank, which loosened up the crud something horrible. I was topped out at 55 before I replaced it.

Otherwise, look for check compression and look for smoke, which may indicate injector / prechamber coking or injector wear. You might also check your valve lash- you'll lose compression if your valves are not closing proper.

Take it w/ a grain o salt, I'm a noob at this.

Andy

Reply to
moon161

I would love to.. if I knew where it was// would appreciate your help.. it's a wagon.. will look around for it today.. seems I changed both front filters in the last year.. about same on valve adjust.. [prob 20k miles]

Somehow, I lost the 'check the obivious first' and had just convinced myself it was the injectors/pump.. duh.. Thanks to all for your posts..

Reply to
Colton Motor Express #6 Here!

The tank filter screws into the bottom of the tank on a wagon. #56 here:

Karl

describe when the U-joints in my drive line were starting to fail. The got progressively worse until there was a marked shudder and balance problem and when it got obvious like that I was able to figure out what the problem was.

Paul

Reply to
heav