'84 300D adjusting valves

I recently purchased a well cared for '84 300D with 171K from an attorney and yesterday went to the MB dealer to pick up an oil filter and fuel filter. While there, I asked the service manager how much they charged to adjust valves and he responded that they do not work on that old of a diesel, which surprised me. He said the older diesels are too much different than the new ones. He then told me not to worry about adjusting valves unless they rattled. I had heard somewhere that the valves should rountinely be adjusted as preventative maintenance. Who is right??

Reply to
nebill

That should be your last trip into that dealership. I have an '82 300D. You got a very good car. Adjust the valves every fifteen thousand miles. But I don't. I have them adjusted every fall, September or October, just before cool weather. I can't say "cold weather" because I'm in central Florida. Properly adjusted valves make it easier to start and keeps the fuel mileage up.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Pandacat206

Avoid that place in future. Adjust the valves once a year. I have it done in November before the really cold weather sets is.

'81 300SD Der Klunker

Reply to
Gogarty

Well, there is probably some truth to what he says. Speaking only from personal experience. I bought a 240D with 85k km on it and drove it till about 220k km when it needed a waterpump. The dealer asked if it ever had the valves adjust - I said no..... didn't realize it had to be done. He checked/adjusted the valves at this time and found that they were 'pretty' good just the way they were - maybe a little tight. So, take it from there I drove it fairly hard ... :-) not all that different from an old Beetle which probably doesn't mean a lot considering how underpowered it is. Floor the Gas while popping the clutch (mind you I did need a new clutch). In any case, valves seemed to be just fine after driving it for 135k km and I doubt the lady who had it before me did anything to it either. BTW I sold it to a guy driving Taxi and he put another 150k km on it - hard service I'd say and he lost the car because someone rammed it finally. I'd also say, wait till it makes some noise.

-regards

Reply to
Guenter Scholz

This guy doesn't know what he's talking about - typical dealer salesman

- service advisor.

Out of adjustment valves never "rattle" that's because they're too tight, not too loose. The point of adjusting valves it to restore the safety gap that ensures that the valve will fully close.

Either find an independent M-B shop or learn to DIY every 15K to 20K miles.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach