84 300D Auto tranny problem

In Park the car does not hold. It will roll and click. Searching past posts it sounds like I need to take it to a transmission place. Is it possible to replace the tranny or is it a small repair? And how much do you think it would cost? Thanks

Jeff

Reply to
jefftino

Sounds like your shift linkage is out of adjustment... maybe your bushings in that linkage are all gone.

Reply to
Tiger

Yeah, I hope that that's the case. I am the guy who wrote in about starting the car in N only, so I think the linkage is out of whack and the bushing is worn or missing. The car is originally from PA so its a rust bucket underneath. I took a peek of the gear selection lever and linkage and it looks very rusty. Need to get some jack stands but other projects are waiting like rebuilding a deck... I looked at a Haynes manual and it looks pretty simple to change the bush and realign the rod. Looks like a PITA though because its a tight spot.

Jeff

Reply to
jefftino