84 300d sedan: lost key (not orig)

so i lost my key. seems that the old owner replaced the tumbler but didn't leave any info on the key for the locksmith.
so what do i do? get a new tumbler and key? i think i need the old key
to take out the old tumbler.
call a locksmith? i had one come out but he didn't know what he was doing i don't think.
anyways, thanks for your time!
Mike
I am a locksmith and this would be no problem for me. I suggest what you say when you call is that you need a key impressioned for your ignition, and another locksmith suggested that it takes the X83 blank.
You are lucky that you have the 300D, if you had the 300SD that uses the sidewinder key and is much more expensive to have a key fit.
--
Roger Shoaf
thanks for the help!

In your original post you said

If the original ignition was replaced, the key you get from the dealer is going to work the locks that were not replaced.

When you were driving the car did you have one key or was there a separate key for the ignition?
--
Roger Shoaf
yeah. they are different.

That is correct. The factory only knows what was in the car when it left. But like I suggested before, a reasonably competent locksmith can impression a key to fit the new ignition, so not to worry. Just call around and ask with the information that I gave you the first time.
--
Roger Shoaf