'84 300D timing chain

Dear MBZ Gurus: My '84 300D has 175k miles on it now and I am wondering about the timing chain. Do the 617.952 engines need to have them replaced, or at least inspected regularly? TIA

Reply to
Diesel Dude

Your question is excellent for the valves will hit the pistons if the chain breaks. Inspect and replace it if necessary. The inspection is done during a valve adjustment when the cover is off.

Just behind the camshaft's chain sprocket is a thrust collar with a notch cut into it. The driver's side of the front cam support has a groove cut into its middle. Turn the engine by the crankshaft (by hand / wrench) until the notch is aligned with the groove. That is the cam's 00 degrees position.

With the cam at 00 degrees the next step is to read the crankshaft's angle from its harmonic balancer. Under all the dirt there's a pointer, slightly to the left of top.

The chain ought to be replaced if the crankshaft's angle is 5 degrees or more.

It's replaced by cutting the old chain, attaching the new chain and slowly turning the engine by hand and so pulling the new chain into place. The chain's tensioner needs to be released so the ends can be linked together. Both ends need to be kept in tension to ensure the chain doesn't jump a tooth. The chain also drives the injection pump so one doesn't want to lose the engine's timing.

Hope this answers the question.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

That is a very interesting method... I guess the sprockets don't wear out in these engines then? usually in my experience the "timing set" includes the sprockets and the chain, and disassembling the front timing case is necessary.

Reply to
Martin Joseph

I don't buy the "sprockets don't wear" theory - everything wears. In other engines, replacing the timing chain and sprockets is recommended. Perhaps in the Benz Diesels, time and experience have shown that to be unnecessary, but it still gives me the willies. I've seen two types of timing chain sold for these diesels, one is a complete chain, pressed together at the factory, and the other is the "master-link" type chain, which, indeed, is attached at one end to a cut end of the old chain then cranked through to replace it. I'm sure the "master-link" type chain and installation will work for a while - I'm just concerned about the longevity when a new chain is placed onto old (and I promise you, worn) sprockets.

This subject has some interest to me because I just bought an 84 300D "Euro" with a thouroughly locked engine (according to the last owner, it "stopped suddenly on the highway"). I suspect when I have time to open it up that the timing chain will be the culprit.

So how bout it folks - anyone have any long-term experience with putting new timing chains on old sprockets on these models?

Cheers,

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad

Thanks for the input guys. I'll have a look-see at the chain when the valve cover comes off for an adjustment and check the crankshaft angle at that time, next week or thereabouts. Cheers, Steve

Reply to
Diesel Dude