'84 300D u joint

Just had the transmission replaced in the '84 300D and still get an intermittent clunk when transmission shifts, which is a symptom of the U-joint. Is one
portion of the U-joint a fixed part of the drive shaft requiring that portion of the shaft being replaced to replace the U-joint? Also, how much play is allowable in the intermediate bearing? Is it possible for the intermediate bearing to be the source of the problem, rather than the U-joint?

I wouldn;t jump to that conclusion. Check the transmission settings- a clunk in the driveline at shifts is almost certainly from the transmission.
Also check the drive shaft support, my 380SE's was bad and sounded like a bad shaft.
ps. the support is a lot cheaper