'84 300D windshield

I went to have a rock pitted windshield replaced at the local auto glass shop and got what seemed like a very reasonable quote. Ordered up the new windshield and molding, however, when the guy went to start the replacement he backed out saying it was much too tricky. He said the chrome trim had to be removed and the headliner had to be pulled back involving too much risk for damage. Did the guy just realize he under-priced the project and wanted an easy out or is there actually too much risk for damage in replacing these windshields? I certainly don't like the thought of nicks and scratches replacing it or a cobbled up headliner.

Reply to
nebill

Interesting situation, but a side note, I heard on CarTalk that most insurance companies will replace it for free, if it's imparing your vision, and I know exactly what you mean, when the sun hits your window just right, it's really bad! Sounds like a lazy guy though... take it to the MB shop?

Darrell

shop and got what seemed like a very reasonable quote. Ordered up the new windshield and molding, however, when the guy went to start the replacement he backed out saying it was much too tricky. He said the chrome trim had to be removed and the headliner had to be pulled back involving too much risk for damage. Did the guy just realize he under-priced the project and wanted an easy out or is there actually too much risk for damage in replacing these windshields? I certainly don't like the thought of nicks and scratches replacing it or a cobbled up headliner.

Reply to
Darrell

Don't panic!

I had the windshield replaced on my '83 300D by one of those fellows who comes and does it in the parkinglot. It wasn't too nasty but the guy did have to tinker a bit. I'm not sure what the heck your guy was talking about with chrome and headliners and such but I think some of those guys are pretty "production oriented" and if they see a car older than about ten years they start to whine. (New car windshields seem far easier to replace.) I think the chrome can be removed and then put back...it's hard to recall all the details. It looked like all they need to do is work with a rubber "lip" that goes around the glass. It's not a real complex issue but the rubber is twenty odd years old and if it gets torn it's hard (or expensive) to find another. The guy who did mine was vvveeeerrrryyyy careful with the lip and it was reuseable. However it leaked a bit after he was done. I called him back and he sealed the area with some sort of gunk. We both held our breath and it turned out fine and looked great.

I think the guy you had working on it was a weenie. It's better for both of you that he bailed before he trashed that "lip". Find someone who can deal with the car and it shouldn't be a hassle.

By the way. If you're near Denver I've still got the windshield (the rest of the car took on a deer). I'm parting the car out and now driving a different

300D. It's clean and clear and if you need it (or something else like the adjacent chrome) drop me an e-mail at snipped-for-privacy@earthlink.net and maybe we can work something out.

Whatever you do don't trash that big rubber "lip" around the glass!

Shadowjoe

shop and got what seemed like a very reasonable quote. Ordered up the new windshield and molding, however, when the guy went to start the replacement he backed out saying it was much too tricky. He said the chrome trim had to be removed and the headliner had to be pulled back involving too much risk for damage. Did the guy just realize he under-priced the project and wanted an easy out or is there actually too much risk for damage in replacing these windshields? I certainly don't like the thought of nicks and scratches replacing it or a cobbled up headliner.

Reply to
shadowjoe

if you change a 20 year old windshield and want the replaced one to be sealed right, I suggest a new rubber seal anyhow. the replacement will never ever sit exactly as the old windshield, therefore using the old seal it is prone to leak...

so if you want it right the first time...include a new seal while changing the windshield.

2cents alex

"nebill" schrieb im Newsbeitrag news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...

shop and got what seemed like a very reasonable quote. Ordered up the new windshield and molding, however, when the guy went to start the replacement he backed out saying it was much too tricky. He said the chrome trim had to be removed and the headliner had to be pulled back involving too much risk for damage. Did the guy just realize he under-priced the project and wanted an easy out or is there actually too much risk for damage in replacing these windshields? I certainly don't like the thought of nicks and scratches replacing it or a cobbled up headliner.

Reply to
Alex Hemmerich

Greetings,

Sounds like he was exhaling combustion byproducts up your ventral orifice. The metal trim is pretty standard stuff - comes out rather nicely starting at the top middle - see the joint? - the headliner isn't even in the picture as everything comes out the front. The only caution is, of course, 20-year-old rubber - mine (81 300D) was too badly cracked and brittle, but I got lucky and found a windshield gasket on a wrecked Benz with a smashed windshield at the salvage yard. Unless you're planning on breaking your windshield again real soon, I'd look real hard into being sure the gasket is a fresh as possible rather than making do with a brittle cracked one. These gaskets do more than retain the glass - they also protect your body. On the rear glass gasket especially, I've seen absolutely stunning amounts of rust through the rear deck metal caused by leaky gaskets.

I think this guy needs none of your business, and let your friends know about him too. Good glass shops don't operate this way.

Cheers,

Conrad

Reply to
Conrad