84 300TD only goes in reverse!

I was at a stop light, and when I went to drive, nothing happened. I played with the shifter and found only reverse worked. This happened a few years
back, and the tow truck driver happened to notice something under the car had come loose. Can anybody tell me where to look before I need to have it towed.
L.
Check tranny fluid first... then check your shifting linkage.
Also check your vacuum hose by the tranny.
You didn't mention if you have an automatic or manual. I have a '79 240D with a manual and a couple of years ago was driving along and all of a sudden, car wouldn't shift. I could only get it in first gear. Limped home and stuck my head under. Problem was a couple of nylon bushings where the linkage joins the tranny body. Just plain worn out. Might check for this one.
Rochelle '79 240D (now with 300 Turbo engine)