Cruise control is separate from odometer... no relation.
Cruise control amplifier is at fault 90% of the time... simply buy a rebuilt one for $165...
The odometer is something you have to send out to repair... I think most places is $125 to repair... basically a plastic gear casing broke inside... so the odometer is not moving. I had this same problem with my car.
Check for vendors at mbcoupe.com

The odometer gear is worn out. They all do that.
http://www.odometergears.com is the only place to get a new one.
The odometer gears wear out. My 79 240D had the same problem. I sent it out to be rebuilt and recalibrated, since it was reading about 10% off.
Rochelle
Jack Archambault wrote:

http://www.odometergears.com
This guy went out and made a bunch. He's the only place you can buy this stupid little gear that fixes nearlyt all GErman/VDO odmoeters from the 50's and up. Same part in nearly all German cars up to the ninties..

Wow Richard... thanks for the link. I need that E1 to fix my original odometer.