84' rear axle flange bearing replacement

I have recently begun the process of changing one of the rear axle shaft flange bearings on my 84' 300SD. However, when I got to the point of loosening the slot nut I began having problems. It seems
that no matter what I do I cannot get the nut to loosen up. I was able to get the nut to rotate 5 mm or so, but at that point the nut seems to be completely seized. It almost acts if I am rotating the nut in the wrong direction. Can anyone confirm to me whether the slot nut is a right hand or left hand thread nut? Any advice that anyone could give me would be greatly appreciated.
Which side are you changing?
BOTH sides are right hand thread. Left and right flanges are the same.