84 SD - New Air Conditioner

Have an opportunity to buy an 84 SD with 240,000 miles. Car looks nice but air conditioner leaks freon.

What are my options? How much should I expect to pay for this first repair?

Regards,

Doug Fejer

Reply to
Douglas K. Fejer

A/C repair cost depends on the Freon leak's location. Cost rises (a lot) if leak is under the dash board vs. the old hoses under the hood.

If you buy the car and want A/C, have the system converted to r134a as part of its repair.

But at 240K miles the engine's compression should be tested by a M-B shop to ensure the engine has enough remaining life to make the car's purchase worthwhile, aside from the A/C question.

Reply to
T.G. Lambach

W126 doesn't have evaporator problem so it is not the same debacle as the newer MB. Leaking shouldn't be too bad of a repair.

Best repair is to get second opinion before you commit to the repair. If your friend know how to do A/C, use him!

Reply to
Tiger

If the car has been converted to 134, check the adapter fitting on the AC line. Those damn things leak all the time. Customer comes into garage and says "System was tight before the conversion but now it won't hold freon." Check the simple stuff first.

Larry In the back yard, under to oak.

Reply to
Larry Rogers