85 190E - Struggles to start

Hello All,

1985, 2.3 190E - When left overnight or long periods of inactivity, the merc struggles to start. It eventually does start and runs fine.

Once running, if shut off and restarted immediately - starts great. Once running, it shut off and restarted within an hour - starts great.

But leave it shut off for longer, becomes a bugger to get running again.

When the key is turned in the ignition, the engine turns just fine - but doesnt catch. Have to turn the engine a few times before it gets going.

Once it's running the engine is smooth ie no rough idling or variations in rpm.

Any suggestions where to start looking?

Thanks Jerry

Reply to
jboa40

Sounds like your fuel pressure dropped to zero overnight... so in the morning, when you start up... it takes a while to bring up the pressure.

I would check your fuel filter area for any slow leak of gasoline... It couldn't be your accumulator because it would give you a hard hot start problem.

I would also check the fuel distributor for leak there too...especially the black module attached to it... Maybe you just need to change the o-ring there.

Reply to
Tiger

One other possibility but rare... cold start injector.

Reply to
Tiger

You know, I would check the water levels in your battery, because mine once did the same thing, confused the heck out of me, then confused the heck out of the mechanic (everything holds pressure and everything checks out fine), so I just lived with it. One day I checked the water levels in my battery and one cell was dry, I topped it off and the problem went away. I don't think it's a fluke because I know one other person who had the same situation.

Reply to
marlinspike

Thanks gents - will try out your suggestions Jerry

Reply to
jboa40