85 300SD Can I bypass the blower control?

The A/C blower wanders from almost off to high without apparent reason, and randomly it seems. I see that it has an electronic control module that cost $200+ to replace. On such an old car it doesn't make sense to replace it when you could just bypass it and let it run on HIGH all the time. THis wouldn't create a problem would it? But the problem is, I don't know where this module is. I see what looks like an ECM module behind the under-dash cover panel, just to the left of the steering column, I think. Is that it?

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Maybe it's the sensor input. On my 300D cabin air is pulled over a temperature sensor by a vacuum. When the soft hose gave out, I got wild oscillations in the climate system.

For me, the hose was accessed by removing the glove box liner... not sure about the 300SD.

Mark

Jim Caldwell wrote:

Reply to
Mark Schaeffer

(Ron sent this to me in error, I'm passing it along to the group)

Sure, mine stopped running altogether. The control is over the passenger's left foot. A long plug has a series of pins that go into holes. Unplug it and run a jumper wire to run it on a moderate speed all the time. High speed might overheat something and it's too much noise anyway. Let me know if you need more info.

Ron

85 300SD 83 300SD
Reply to
Mark Schaeffer

Reply to
Jim Caldwell

Your 126 body has at least 3 ECM's: one for the cruise [it is above the brake pedal], and two for the ACC [one for the temp control and one for the blower control], they are on the right end of the heater case. Do you have turn knobs for your climate control or 5 pushbuttons going across? You need to specify since your news system uses a berlin.de address. If your 85 is like a USA 84/85 300SD, then it has a 4th ECM for EGR contol.

Reply to
Karl