85 mercedes 300td wagon

That leaks around the pump is not normal and is the problem. You can just change that pump... use the undersink basin wrench available at your local home center in plumbing department to remove that pump.

Reply to
Tiger

hello, thanks for all the responses ,my wife has been helping me while i am at work.i cant get this car started! so i thought i would try to desrcribe the problem one last time, instead of trying to tell her what to post. the problem started out intermediatly usually when power was needed for a hill or mountain.i changed the filters ,the problem was still there.then i checked the strainer in the fuel tank,it looked fine,though i dont understand how it works since its not having fuel sucked trough it, it just "sits" in the middle of the tank.after checking the strainer i got it started,a little rough at first but it seemrd to clear up.my wife took of in the car and thats when it finally broke down and would not start.(her drive is going up a mountain right away) i noticed the hand pump had been leaking,thought maybe it could have been suking in air?i replaced it with a a bosch hand pump. i then noticed a small amount of black stuff in the clear filter,not enough to cause a problem though.i changed the filters once again thinking it finally quit because of something i did when i checked strainer.(stirred up some junk in tank?)now i cant seem to get the system bled ,if i can get any fuel to pump through the pump into a cup its bubbly and not just fuel.i have pumped and pumped and pumped mostly getting nothing. i have tried turning over the engine with the line into the injector pump cracked and get nothing. i have blown air through feed and return lines and i hear bubbling in the tank. i got another hand pump but have not tried it yet,are the things known for being defective?i also just noticed that the rubber return line at tank looks collapsed, its not the feed line though,maybe using biodiesel has caused some lines to weaken.will replace these when my wife comes home with parts.this is my last ditch effort before i give up! any more ideas ,thank you for your time!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also would like to know of a good repair manual.

Reply to
cacoagurl66

It would be easier to read your posts if you used traditional spacing after punctuation and proper capitalization.

Anyway, yes, biodiesel and vegetable oil eat rubber. If you're going to replace the hoses anyway, get some Viton ones. Google will give it up for you. There is at least one place which sells all of the hoses you need already cut to length, although I have been meaning to ask them if there are meaningful differences between the wagon and the sedan when it comes to the attachment to the fuel tank.

The manuals are on CD.

While their site says they don't have them, their catalog says they do and they're $39. Otherwise, you can get 'em from a place called Bentley Publishers for $99. Unfortunately, searching for them on Google is an act of futility.

Good luck,

-tom!

Reply to
Tom Plunket