86 300e temp. display

Hi all- the temp display under the speedo on my car is just blank. Its lit up yellow, but theres no info there.... anybody know if this can be fixed relatively easily? Its not something I want o put money into, but i'd like to fix it if i could.... thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris O'Malley

Hi all- the temp display under the speedo on my car is just blank. Its lit up yellow, but theres no info there.... anybody know if this can be fixed relatively easily? Its not something I want o put money into, but i'd like to fix it if i could.... thanks, Chris

Reply to
Chris O'Malley

Depending on how bad the sensor is.  If the resistance is just up slightly (more likely than less resistance), that will make the display 'think' the temp is higher.  When the resistance goes out of range, the display shows blank.  I have seen the spec somewhere in the CD-ROM manual but I cannot recall where and what the ranges are. The sensor goes bad much more frequently than the display.  I believe it is due to its location: at very front of the car.  Also, the sensor is cheaper (about $40) while the display assembly runs like $200 (eBay sometimes has the whole instrument cluster for around $60).  Another thing regarding the display is the C/F is built in.  There is no way to change C to F or F to C, unless getting another assembly. Chris O'Malley wrote:

Thanks. If the temp sensor is bad, would it be blank as mine is, or would there just be an incorrect reading? thanks again, chris "Wan-ning Tan" < snipped-for-privacy@erols.com wrote in message news: snipped-for-privacy@erols.com...Probably the temp sensor is bad.  The sensor is behind the front license plate, with a cable going all the way through firewall then connect to the display.  It may be difficult to route the entire cable.  What I did on my W201 was cutting the cable in the middle then soldering the replacement.  The sensor is pretty sensitive so any extra resistance in the wiring will cause the display to go higher. Chris O'Malley wrote: Hi all- the temp display under the speedo on my car is just blank. Its lit up yellow, but theres no info there.... anybody know if this can be fixed relatively easily? Its not something I want o put money into, but i'd like to fix it if i could.... thanks, Chris

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan