86 300SDL disabled alarm now car won't start

The alarm system on my 86 300SDL was hypersensitive, so I disconnected it by unplugging the two black connectors to the alarm controller, under the passengers foot rest. I first unplugged the
smaller (lower) one, but that caused a lot of clicking after a while, so I ended up unplugging both. This was 2 days ago, and I was able to start and drive the car that day.
But today it won't start - barely cranks and glow light/buzzer is fairly dim. I thought the battery was dead, but other things (headlights) work fine, not dim at all. I'm thinking now that I screwed up something in the alarm controller which blocks the ignition system. Is there any way I can bypass that completely to start the car, which I need to do to avoid being towed tomorrow? Is there a way to reset the alarm system so it won't block the ignition? I tried reconnecting the controller and locking/unlocking many times, but that didn't work. Thanks.
Add pictures here
✖

I looked at the schmatics and can't find anythine in the alarm system that would prevent the car from starting or running. I believe you must have an unrelated problem. Check the battery cables and ground straps between the engine and body. Paul
Add pictures here
✖
Agree. The alarm has nothing to do with the starting system. MB's alarm system around that time monitors only the entry (4 doors, hood, I don't remember about the trunk) and anti-towing. Later models from mid-90 start to use ignition-disabler.
The no-start must be the battery. The two most battery-draining tasks on a diesel are the preglow and starter. Both are needed to start the engine. This is why the battery for diesel needs more CCA than the gasoline engine on the same body. Believe it or not, the battery that cannot start my 87 300SDL can still be used in my 89 300TE (though barely making another year).
Paul wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
Battery is highly suspect if > 4 years old. That it cranks at all excludes ignition / alarm system. Battery.
--

© 2008 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Jul 28, 5:42 pm, "-->> T.G. Lambach <<--" <"T.G. Lambach at NoHamorSpamcomcast.net"> wrote:

Add pictures here
✖
[...]

I would also strongly suspect the fuses are slightly corroded. It is cheap to replace them. This would account for a lot of bizarre gremlins.
Add pictures here
✖