86 300SDL Engine Won't Shut Off

I recently stored my car for several months and prior to this I added a fuel preservative to the tank. I now must operate the emergency switch to shut off the engine. Will this problem correct itself after the fuel
additive is out of the system or do I have a problem that requires servicing? I have read somewhat about this problem and wonder whether I may have a vacuum problem with the shut off valve. If so where is the valve located and is it easy to check? Door locks operate OK. What might be a ballmark cost for the dealer to repair?
Thanks

There's a muchroom shaped do-hicky on the back of the injection pump. When it fails (and they all do) this is what happens.
Just get a new part and replace it yourself. It's disgustly easy albeit a bit fiddly getting it back on.
The only thing to watch out for is oil in the vacuum line going to it, it usually indicated vacuum pump failure which is what sometimes causes this part to fail. There is a rare catostrophc failure tha too much oil can cause the engine to be near impossible to shut off as it eats it's own oil DO NOT UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES put your hand over the air intake. If you want to keep the hand and your life that is.
Hopefully you have no oil in that line. If you do we need to talk.
Richard,
Thank your for your prompt response. Your statement that the part is "a bit fiddly getting it back on" does concern me.
Eddie
Richard Sexton wrote:

The new part has a little hook that you have to hook over a lever inside the injection pump that you can't quite see. That's really easy to do until you relize you forgot to use the thin paper gasket it came with so you take it off and try again and now it's tricky. It won't go on it the 5 seconds it took you last time, it may take 10 or 15 minutes to get the stupid thing to hook on.
Persistance! It can and will be done and it seems silly to pay somebody an hours labor for something that just requires a bit of determination.
The shutoff diaphragm is on the back end of the 616 and 617 diesels. He has a 86 SDL, therefore he has a 606 diesel. The shut off is on TOP of the injection pump, under the intake. For a 1st-timer, you should remove the intake to replace it....

It is? (rolls eyes) Now I know why I like the 5 cyl diesels.
Sorry abuot that.
Thank you everyone for your assistance. The problem turned out to be a vacuum line had come off of the "shut off diaphram"? I looked around the area where the manual emergency stop level was a saw a "clean" brass nozzle fitting and then located an unnconnected hose and reattached it to the fitting. Works fine now.
Thanks Everyone