86 420 SEL intermittently stays in first gear

To correct this problem I have to shut my car off and restart it, then it works just fine.... till I stop 1 to 20 times then it acts up again! I'm thinking it is a vacume problem. Anyone else had this happen? please
resond
Your car starts off in second gear... so you are saying you are stuck in 2nd gear. I would start out by changine out the ATF fluid and filter... flush all old fluid out by changing only the fluid for two times and then change the filter and fluid on the third time. You have a drainbolt on the tranny pan.
If there is vacuum problem, you would have hard shifting. It is wise to change out the little vacuum hose by the tranny... they frequently go bad and leaks vacuum.
Oh dear, a Bill Gates gremlin.
DAS
"Wolf972" < snipped-for-privacy@cox-internet.com> wrote in message
news: snipped-for-privacy@localhost.talkaboutautos.com...
Not sure about this car. Some models do have a kickdown switch (or maybe called something else) under the gas pedal. If the switch is stuck closed, it will force the trany to stay in 2nd (the starting gear).