87 200D

Are any of these little 4 cyl 124 bodied diesels stateside? I'd love to find a stick shift econo car like this if there are any. Canada maybe? I live in NE OH. Did they come with any creature comforts like AC and Power
Windows/locks or were they all pretty stripped? Any thoughts?
The 240D was imported through 1982; it was the smallest engined 123 model.

Only outside north america, 200 are a bit too slow, especially if you do mountain driving, though maybe not in Ohio :-)
http://eng.autoscout24.com/home/index/detail.asp?ts315401&id "650874&sc=&makeG&model=&pricefrom=&euroto=&zip cp
So it can be safely assuned that no (or nearly no) 124 bodied 200D's exist in North America. Too bad, the one you show the link to is pretty sharp and with a manual transmission would not be objectionable here in OH and would get great mileage. What a great little oddity that would be for the ultimate cheapskate (me!) I don't suppose I could even import one if I wanted to. Are the motors durable? or at least as durable as the ones in the 123 240D's stateside?
The W124 200D engines probably are _the most durable MB ever made - and they are more durable than the 240Ds; not that the 240D OM 616 engines are not durable, but the W124 200D OM 601 engines _are_ more durable.
In Germany W124 200D for years were the most popular taxis by far and there is not so few of them making 1.000.000 km (yes, one million) without any major engine work.
Juergen (having OM 616 - but thruth remains truth) --------------------------------------------------
Dan Streb wrote:

Maybe if someone imported one.

I definitely liked them in Europe, the taxis use them, and Ohio's flat, perfect match.

In Canada we can import any Mercedes 15 years or older, I don't know about the US. I was going to go get a 250D last summer but didn't end up going because my wife had to go to school. This year we HAVE to go, we're going to go for about a month and will buy a car (probably the 200D or 250D, not sure how 200D would drive in BC mountains, might need bigger engine) to drive around and bring back, I might bring back two, if you're seriously interested in one contact me at cplas__AT__telus__DOT__net nothing is set in stone but if everything will be alright we'll go.

The taxi drivers I have talked to in Germany swear by them, some guy said his had over 500,000 MILES and nothing yet, engine or transmission, and taxi drivers know :-)
cp