'87 300D HELP! Sunroof just broke!

Help! Just a little while ago, while out driving, my passenger went to open the sunroof. Started retracting okay for the first 6" or so; then there was a slight stall and a SNAP and the motor was still spinning but had no retraction. She let go of the switch and I pulled over to check it out. The roof slides freely and the motor still runs (I moved it back a little more but did NOT run it forward again for fear of damage or tangling something inside the roof). I pulled the roof all the way forward again and since it won't seal I've done the temporary plastic sheet/tape bit around the edges. But: summer's coming (with rain) and I'll NEED the roof. :)

QUESTION: what kind of job is it to pull the headliner? Once I get at the mechanism I can figure it'll be pretty easy to repair (it ain't rocket science) and I'm pretty tool-capable (do my own brakes, belts, filters/fluids, regular maintenance, & etc.) but this will be my first MB headliner and I'm wondering how involved it could get.

Any help/comments will be greatly appreciaated. Thanks!

Reply to
Mercedes

Since you plan to remove the headlining (which isnt hard but can get damaged once removed). You probably need to unclip all of the side trim on the pillars.

You may as well do a full overhaul on the lubrication .... probably the main reason why it broke.

Reply to
Miro

The cable broke. Not a big deal. It could take you as long as an hour to instlal a new one. You don't need to remove the headliner, just the interior panel on the sunroof. You just pull the front edge down, hard and it snaps right off. Metal spring tabs hold it in place.

The factory manual has excellent instructions on how to replace it.

Reply to
Richard Sexton

Yah - I plan on overhauling the slider once I can get to it - but my MAIN concern is removing the headliner since it'll be my first time. What's the easiest way to start it? I imagine that removing the handles over the doors will get me to screws (same with the pillar trim) but what am I in for after that? Clips all around the edges? What? I can figure this isn't a salvage job and that I'll need all new clips and I can deal with that; but I'm wondering what hard times I'll encounter getting it OUT. Thanks!

Reply to
Mercedes

You don't remove the headliner. Read what Richard just posted above. It just snaps out.

Larry In the back yard, under the oak.

Reply to
Larry Rogers

Hmmm ... wonder what ole Hanz und Franz would charge for this job. You should go find out.

mcbrue wonderingly under the bridge in the trailer down by the river (which does have many oak trees along the banks)

96 S420
Reply to
MCBRUE

Larry & Richard -

Would you happen to know if the headliner need not be removed to repair the mechanism of a VW Jetta sunroof? In my daughter's 1995 the sunroof gave a "snap" while being opened, and left the track. (It happened the day I used the car, but don't tell her.) The shop was able to close it with a good seal, but it's non-operable, and she was quoted a repair price she can't afford.

I might go in and fix this if the headliner can stay in place.

Rey Barry

Reply to
Rey Barry

-snip->

Thanks! I pulled-off the slider's panel last night and there's a lot of slack cable behind it, so I figure that's what's wrong. Tonight I tackle the trunk-side of this thing and see what's there (like, maybe I just have to hook it back onto the spool/spindle/whatever?).

It looks a little cagey as to how the cable maintains enough stiffness (after it comes up the rear pillar) to push the whole thing forward for closing & lifting, but I guess it'll all work okay. I'll report back with what else I may find.

Your posting hadn't made it to Google when I typed mine.

Thanks again! :)

Reply to
Mercedes

Rehi all (back from an unexpected trip and getting back-to-business),

Taking a better look inside the roof I now see how MB keeps the cable stiff enough to push the roof closed (ref my posting below) and see that the channel is bent in half and collapsed toward the back (hadn't understood what I'd seen the first time). To me it now looks like I'll now HAVE to drop at least SOME of the liner to get at the two securing screws that don't look like they're near the back courtesy light. True? ouch.

Also, failing to have a factory manual - just the Chilton's book which, while it gives plenteous instruction for a complete engine rebuild, says "too daunting for the backyard mechanic" and "take it to the dealer" (both paraphrased) when talking about the sunroof assembly (go figure) - does anyone have a "Cliff's Notes version" of the intricacies of cable replacement/rethreading?

thanks.

-snip-

Reply to
Mercedes

One of the cables broke or one of the rails broke. Replace both ipairs and don't forget to time the pull on each cable so they pull the same amount. When Mercedes fixes the sunroof, they have this jig that mounts on top with dials so the technician can correctly repair it to factory spec. They also use the correct lubricant in the right places. P.

Reply to
pkmaven

Wrong again, it is not the rail... if it was the rail, it would jam and he wouldn't be able to move it smoothly. It is most likely to be the clip that holds the roof to the cable. Cable snapping is extremely rare.

To remove the headliner for the sunroof, you need to slide it back 6"... use a trim removal tool and pry down the headliner... it is held in by metal snap clips... once you released it... move the sunroof back more and pull out the headliner toward front and up out of the roof.

Look for the big cable... and see where it is supposed to connect near the front of the sunroof... there is a clip that is supposed to hold that cable to the mount... using a clip that looks like a C and a pin in the middle... This is most likely the pin you need to replace... dealer can get them for you.

Reply to
Tiger