'87 300D lock cylinder

All of a sudden my key won't turn my lock cylinder on my '87 300D, and I gotta take this thing on a trip tomorrow! After ten minutes of wiggling, I managed to turn it on yesterday, and I left it with the key turned all night! No ignition system on a Diesel, right? Is it easy to get the cylinder out with the key turned and clean it out? Is that best left to professionals? Any advice?

Reply to
David Streb

Ack! The deal is you can replace the cylinder very easily (ask google for directions, they're evrywhere) *IF* you can turn the key. If you can't it's a living hell and you have to drill haddenred steel and the ruin enough parts so it's twice the cost. Don't turn it all the way off!

Reply to
Richard J. Sexton (At work

Wow! what timing! This just happened to me and I fixed it easily.

Get the key turning and take out the cylinder as described in the literature (i.e. straighten a couple of paperclips and insert them into the notches around the cylinder - you'll have to rotate the cylinder a bit until one lines up, then insert the other - this lets you remove the hardened shroud around the cylinder and also hits the springclips that hold the cylinder in. then pull the cylinder straight out. don't worry - nothing will fall out of place).

Notice the crescent-shaped slots in the back of the cylinder: these are where the tumblers go when you shut off and pull the key out. *I* packed them with pieces of plastic (split-off from one of those plastic clips that they use on bread bags) so the the cylinder always turns. You can then reinsert the cylinder and use the car until you purchase a new one (which they sent me two of and i still have to return the duplicate. wanna buy it?)

done this way, you will partially insert the key enough to turn it to start the car. When the car is off it'll look just like it shold with no key in the cylinder. :) I ran this way about two weeks (locking the door all the time, of course!) until my new cylinder(s) came in.

Got any more questi> > >All of a sudden my key won't turn my lock cylinder on my '87 300D, and I

Reply to
no

Dave, Go to a MB dealer and pay the price (after you discuss the cost with your "Service Advisor". I also own a 124.133 and I have not had this particular problem but I have had all the others. If you would like help with any, contact me. Peter

Reply to
pkmaven