87 300D Transmission Shift Points

Hi!
I have a 1987 300D. I've had the car for just a few months.
I had a trusted mechanic go over the car and find/fix a couple of vacuum leaks and fuse block short. The car is running great.
As I'm new to this car the transmission shift points are very strange to me.
The car is in 4th gear at about 25-30MPH. Is this normal?
The engine doesn't shift down too often, relying on the turbo to pick up speed - is this normal?
One final question. I have a large ford turbo diesel and it has a very distinctive turbo "whine". I can't hear any such "whine" on the MB - is this normal?
Thanks for any insight you can provide!
Kevin
You are right to question your transmission's shift points for they are not correct. The transmission IS given throttle position information so it "knows" the appropriate time to shift for the given throttle opening.
Older models than your '87 have a rod or cable from their throttle linkage on the top right of the engine down to the transmission's right side. Your car may differ, I understand some use vacuum to accomplish this function.
A rod or cable can be adjusted; if your car has either of these reply so and I'll describe that adjustment in a subsequent post. If not someone else may know, or it's back to your mechanic.