87 300D: will a Metra power antenna work?

Autozone shows a Metra 44-PW350 power antenna as a replacement for the original Hirshmann unit. Has anyone ever successfully installed one of these? Autozone
wants $53.50. Significantly less that the 128.50 for a rebuilt Hirshmann at Performance Products.
TIA Bill 87 300D Turbo 81 300SD snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
I just installed a Legacy http://www.legacycaraudio.com model LN48 power antenna in an '87 420 SEL and it seems to be working fine. The only "problem" I had to cut the wires from the old Hirsshmann and splice them together, but it's working great......oh yeah, and I bought it at my local car quest for $42.
LEEP
"Bill" bfdiamonfd@gflocfk. wrote in message

Did you wire in the antenna rocker switch or did you have to bypass it? Also did it fit through the fender hole using the new parts or did you have to use the existing Mercedes molding pieces?
Yhanks for the reply. $42 is a good price. the Metra unit is $53.99
Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
It fit through the existing hole just fine and the model I bought (LN48) had three different types of moldings one said "European" so I used it and it seems to fit just fine. As for the wiring. The existing wiring had 7 different wires (I assume this is the rocker switch you ask about). My new unit only had two wires, so I had to play around and find the proper combination that worked. I ended up leaving the fuse in the box, turning the antenna switch in the "auto" section, and then turned the key on. I just touched the red wires together until the antenna went up, then I touched the other wires until it went down. Any unused wire I had I just taped up.
Aron

I just replaced the power antenna on my 280ce. I bought a "universal " replacement . It is made by Hirschmann, and fitted perfectly, took about half an hour. Product code is #921 738-001. The build quality is not a patch on the origional, but it goes up and down,up and down..................good luck N

Go with the o.e. Hirschmann

Too late. I already bought the Metra. I spliced in the male plug end from the old Hirschmann. It works perfect, except the the antenna switch on the panel which is now useless (I never used it anyway).
I had bad luck with the Hirschmann'a units over the last 8 years. 3 in my 81 300SD, second in the 87 300D.

remove all "f"'s from address