87 300D: will a Metra power antenna work?

Autozone shows a Metra 44-PW350 power antenna as a replacement for the original Hirshmann unit. Has anyone ever successfully installed one of these? Autozone wants $53.50. Significantly less that the 128.50 for a rebuilt Hirshmann at Performance Products.

TIA Bill

87 300D Turbo 81 300SD snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address
Reply to
Bill

I just installed a Legacy

model LN48 powerantenna in an '87 420 SEL and it seems to be working fine. The only"problem" I had to cut the wires from the old Hirsshmann and splice themtogether, but it's working great......oh yeah, and I bought it at my localcar quest for $42.

LEEP

Reply to
YAH MON

Did you wire in the antenna rocker switch or did you have to bypass it? Also did it fit through the fender hole using the new parts or did you have to use the existing Mercedes molding pieces?

Yhanks for the reply. $42 is a good price. the Metra unit is $53.99

Bill

snipped-for-privacy@gflocfk.net remove all "f"'s from address

Reply to
Bill

It fit through the existing hole just fine and the model I bought (LN48) had three different types of moldings one said "European" so I used it and it seems to fit just fine. As for the wiring. The existing wiring had 7 different wires (I assume this is the rocker switch you ask about). My new unit only had two wires, so I had to play around and find the proper combination that worked. I ended up leaving the fuse in the box, turning the antenna switch in the "auto" section, and then turned the key on. I just touched the red wires together until the antenna went up, then I touched the other wires until it went down. Any unused wire I had I just taped up.

Aron

Reply to
YAH MON

Reply to
dr fang

Go with the o.e. Hirschmann

Reply to
pkmaven

Too late. I already bought the Metra. I spliced in the male plug end from the old Hirschmann. It works perfect, except the the antenna switch on the panel which is now useless (I never used it anyway).

I had bad luck with the Hirschmann'a units over the last 8 years. 3 in my 81

300SD, second in the 87 300D.