87 300TD NEUTRAL KILL SWITCH

have a neutral kill switch which is bad, car wont start even in neutral. got new switch but dont know where or how to install it. maybe through the console ?

Reply to
billemery

Sorry, its not inside the car at all.

Its mounted on the transmission itself, on the left hand side, mid section, where the gear selector linkage enters the box.

Do remember to chock the wheels and apply the parking brake FIRMLY before climbing under a jacked car and playing with the transmission selector linkage! Car moves = you dead.

Reply to
TPr

And that doesn't mean I condone getting under the car if its only supported by a jack. I kind of assumed it was on stands ;)

Reply to
TPr

Left (sitting in car) side on the transmission, accessible from under the car. Look in the tunnel. There should be only one part around there with a big cable connected. Unplug the cable. The switch is mounted by two 10mm bolts. Remove the bottom one but only loosen the top one (do not remove or it may be difficult to re-mount). The switch can be removed by moving up slightly. Go buy the replacement switch first then you will know how to remove it.

The procedure is easy. The possible problem is there is not much space to work with. You may have to feel, not see, what you are doing.

And, like the other poster says, alwasy put car > have a neutral kill switch which is bad, car wont start even in neutral. got

Reply to
Wan-ning Tan

i have the "neutral safety switch" temporaily in neutral so that i can start my car. when i have the oppurtunity to get it in the air i will install it properly. i guess neutral safety switch begs the question, whats' so unsafe about trying to start a car in gear ? this , in my opinion, is not good design. the car is useless without it and it cant be easily gotten to unless you carry around a floor jack and blocks etc. along with a spare "safety switch" in your car. there should be a way to bypass it so that you can at least start your car without pushing it or rollling it down a steep hill i guess you could run a jumper cable direct from the starter to the battery in an emergency to start it if you know how. anyway , thanx for the help, im running again and ill get it in the air to properly install the insipid device at first oppurtunity.

Reply to
billemery

The safety switch is there for a reason... so you cannot use starter when in gear... if you managed to keep cranking while car is moving, you will damage the starter and the flex disc gear which starter depends on to turn engine over... and the repair is a monster...

Reply to
Tiger