'87 Benz 300sdl

Need some input about the Benz 6 cylinder diesel. Is it as good as the 4 & 5 cylinder engines?

Add pictures here
✖
The 3.0L six is a better engine from the standpoint of power and smoothness than the older 3.0L five and the 2.4L four. That said, you should know that the six's aluminum head / iron block combination cannot be overheated - that means it MUST have very good cooling system maintenance. If YOU do that IT will serve you well. Owners love them.
But if you want a more forgiving motor buy one of the old fives for these are about a tough and durable as motors come (given reasonable maintenance).
--
© 2007 T.G.Lambach. Publication in any form requires prior written
permission.
On Tue, 28 Aug 2007 15:57:30 -0700, fivejayz wrote:

Well, some will say no at least partly because of the lack of a cast iron head. But it does have self-adjusting valves. And mine, with 298,500 miles is going strong.
--
Cheers, Dzhokhar

Add pictures here
✖
On Wed, 29 Aug 2007 17:44:24 -0500, Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis

:-)
Add pictures here
✖
On Sun, 16 Sep 2007 14:56:12 -0400, wc98 wrote:

Cool! Mine is at this moment at 299,920. Just replaced the front tires and had a four wheel alignment done. It drives as if it were on rails. <g> Makes me want to specutate that since it drives this well now, what might it have been like new?
Fuel economy (mixed city/hiway)is 27-28. Have added 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to last tank of fuel, noted an apparent increase in power. I'll be fueling up today or tomorrow so I can't say that the MM additive has boosted fuel econmony or not until later.
--
Cheers, Kurt

Add pictures here
✖

Engineered like no other car on the road. I believe my 82 300SD is one of the best built cars ever. What other car can not just last, but perform so well so long.
Add pictures here
✖
On Thu, 20 Sep 2007 00:54:35 +0000, robrjt wrote:

I know of no other make of vehicle that compares. All I can say is that I wish that I'd acquired a M-B years earlier.
--
Cheers, Kurt

Add pictures here
✖