'87 Benz 300sdl

Need some input about the Benz 6 cylinder diesel. Is it as good as the

4 & 5 cylinder engines?
Reply to
fivejayz

The 3.0L six is a better engine from the standpoint of power and smoothness than the older 3.0L five and the 2.4L four. That said, you should know that the six's aluminum head / iron block combination cannot be overheated - that means it MUST have very good cooling system maintenance. If YOU do that IT will serve you well. Owners love them.

But if you want a more forgiving motor buy one of the old fives for these are about a tough and durable as motors come (given reasonable maintenance).

Reply to
-->> T.G. Lambach

It is a good engine. I have driven it and it has good power. My friend owns two of them... his first one, he drove it 295,000 miles on it... then he bought another one to replace that one due to rusting... and the current one also has about 230,000 miles now.

Reply to
Tiger

Well, some will say no at least partly because of the lack of a cast iron head. But it does have self-adjusting valves. And mine, with 298,500 miles is going strong.

Reply to
Dzhokhar O'Kelly-Davis

Just turned 345,000 on my 86 SDL and still 22 mpg city/hwy combined. :-)

Reply to
wc98

Cool! Mine is at this moment at 299,920. Just replaced the front tires and had a four wheel alignment done. It drives as if it were on rails. Makes me want to specutate that since it drives this well now, what might it have been like new?

Fuel economy (mixed city/hiway)is 27-28. Have added 8 ounces of Marvel Mystery Oil to last tank of fuel, noted an apparent increase in power. I'll be fueling up today or tomorrow so I can't say that the MM additive has boosted fuel econmony or not until later.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser

Engineered like no other car on the road. I believe my 82 300SD is one of the best built cars ever. What other car can not just last, but perform so well so long.

Reply to
robrjt

[...]

I know of no other make of vehicle that compares. All I can say is that I wish that I'd acquired a M-B years earlier.

Reply to
Kurt Steinhauser