'88 230E not Starting Up

Hi, I am posting this message below for a friend as he does not have access to Newsgroups at the moment.
Thank you
Hello All,
I have noticed that on two occasions now I have switched off the engine (after a journey) and the car refuses to start when I try to start it up again within a few minutes.
Once it is left alone for about 10 minutes it will then start up first time.
It is not fuel related as I have a full tank.
Does anyone have an idea what it could be, I suspect a relay but don't know which one.