88 300 E sunroof question

I have the opportunity to buy a really decent 88 300E that has the sun roof apparently off it's track(s). How major a job is it to repair this. The vehicle's odometer also has stopped working. Can that be replaced by one of average mechanical skill or should I consider taking it to local panzer mechanic? TIA

Reply to
Kurt

Yes, you can repair both yourself... but you need to get a great price on the car to justify the risk... especially the mileage.

Reply to
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in news:Rm_Eg.76$ snipped-for-privacy@newsfe10.lga:

$2995 plus tax, reduced from $3495. I drove it, runs OK,, brakes OK, AC may need refrigerant (compressor seems to kick in, but air is not cold). No descernable rust anywhere. Rubber is mebbe ~75%. All windows work. Only real down side is the status of the AC. And perhaps that the colour is white which is not my favourite at all.

Reply to
Kurt

Nah... I'd wait for something better... There are better cars for that price and get the color you want. AC can cost you a ton... especially if you need a compressor.

Reply to
Tiger

"Tiger" wrote in news:MG2Fg.1417$A% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.lga:

Okey-dokey. The friend locally that "gave me the bug" to buy has advised to not look at anything with non-functioning AC. She spend about $6K on her 86 300E and still doesn't have it working.

Reply to
Kurt

Oops, I just spent 2100 EUR including labor on a new aftermarket AC for my 86 250D.

The kit was from:

Ximinez

Reply to
The Spanish Inquisition

I have a friend in NJ... who got a white 1993 300E. .. that needs a tranny valve body rebuilt... everything else works... and he is asking $3000.

Reply to
Tiger

The Spanish Inquisition wrote in news:44e4c620$0$4529$ snipped-for-privacy@news.xsall.nl:

Yikes. Mebbe I should have said that over the ten years that she has had the 300E, she has spend the $6K on the AC to no avail.

Reply to
Kurt

"Tiger" wrote in news:2u5Fg.1479$A% snipped-for-privacy@newsfe09.lga:

I'll drop you a note via email later tonight or tomorrow. Watch for something from dk_steinhaus

Reply to
Kurt