89 260 E Blower Motor Questions

I've been working on a problem with the blower motor in my '89 260 E (it usually doesn't run at all, but will run on increasingly rare occasions). I've replaced the electronic control unit, but it also looks to me like the carbon brushes on the motor are pretty much gone. The springs are extended and the wire on both brushes is nearly at the end of the brush housing. So, my main question is how does one go about this? There is no obvious way to detach or open the brush housings. I also see no obvious way to remove the fans from the motor shaft without breaking them. I really want to avoid spending another $250 on this problem!

My second question concerns the blower motor housing cover. It looks like someone tried to seal the housing cover by squirting silicone sealant into the groove. I don't see any mention of using a sealant in the tech manual. Is there any reason to do this?

Reply to
Tom Dolan

Bring it to a electric motor repair shop and let them advise you... you should be able to get the motor far cheaper than you found... try Autozone or online auto parts such as bmaautoparts.com

As far as the sealant... I believe the previous owner wants to seal it tight or they lost a screw/stripped the thread that prevents tight seal.

Reply to
Tiger

Thanks, Tiger. Unfortunately, there are no electric motor repair shops nearby (closest is about 1/2 hour away, and was unwilling to look at it without charging a fee). I looked around quite a bit for a replacement, but was unable to find a new motor assembly (incl. fans) for less than $230. I did see a new motor without fans for $130, though. Anyway, I ended up buying a used one from Potomac German for $90--and now have a new problem, because they sent the wrong part and I only have two more days to fiddle with this before the car has to be on the road--not enough time for an exchange, even through Fed Ex. In short, I specified that it had to be from a system without the dust filter, and the guy I ordered from said, "I don't think it makes a difference." Well, the motor itself is probably compatible in that it has the same dimensions, but the fans are the wrong size for the housing--too small diameter, and too close together. Is there a way to remove them so I can put the old fans on the newer motor? I am very worried about breaking them and ending up with an unreturnable part and no working car. (I also really don't want to have to put the whole thing together again just to take it all apart again in another week).

Cheers! Tom Dolan Williamsburg, VA

1988 560SEL 1989 260E

And >Bring it to a electric motor repair shop and let them advise you... you

Reply to
Tom Dolan