89 300E.....

Okay to update everyone again...... This past month the car would run for a little while and then cut out. I cut the catalytic converter out think it was blocked but it would only run for a minute and just konck out. I first replaced the fuel filter about 2 wks ago. Before I crank over, the pumps activate. The fuel accumulator is new. The fuel pressure regulator is new. The OVP is new. New Cap and Rotor. Wires, Plugs New Fuel Pump relay, last may Ignition Coil Air Filter The Gas is fine (not bad fuel) New Cold Start Valve Oil- Mobile 1, always changed

Be aware, that the 02 sensor is disconnected from the car. Its just set aside underneath. The CAT Conv. was completley black when I removed it the other day. I did by-pass it with a test hookup. Does this car have to run with a catalytic converter and the 02 Sensor hooked up? All help is greatly appreciated- Charlie, Monmouth County NJ

Reply to
Chuckyg

Are you monitoring the pump voltage when the engine quits? Are you monitoring the fuel pump pressure when the engine quits? Was your ign coil new or used when you changed it out. Did you check the rotor adaptor plate on the camshaft? They slip on and off when the bolt comes loose. When the engine quits, does it seem rich or lean? How is the color of your spark? Whitish blue? test the CPS for resistance. 750 to 780ohms and .465 to .505 AC volts during cranking. Does the tach needle drop before the engine rpms quit, (CPS failure) This ones a doozy..... Check the fuel pres regulator return line for blockage, (if its blocked, the fuel injection pressure will rise and enrichen the mixture until it s too rich to run. do a fuel volume delivery test: 1 quart/ 30 seconds or so. After it starts and seems to run fine, pull the EHA plug to see if it stays running. If it does, write back. Keep us posted...

-- dave_rose69

View this thread:

Send from

dave_rose69

Thanks for the information. I have a voltmeter, how and where do I place the voltmeter ends to test the pump. What type of numbers do I look for? Keep in mind that there was a decent amount of smoke coming out of the car when it was running. Im not sure what that was about....Chuck

Reply to
Chuckyg

Smoke? What color?

Your O2 sensor must be hooked up to eliminate possibility of computer shutting off your engine.

I am wondering if it is a possibility that your ignition switch shuts off your engine...

Reply to
Tiger

Its a very steady white smoke... How do I hook the 02 sensor up with no cat hooked up tot he car?-Chuck

Reply to
Chuckyg

Is there a spark after it's cut out

Reply to
Richard Sexton

THE VOLTAGE SHOULD REMAIN SOLID AND AT THE SAME VOLTAGE READING TAKEN OFF THE BATTERIES POS. TERM 13.8 VOLTS DC CONNECT THE VOM TO THE REAR PUMP TERMINALS WITH LARGE ALLIGATOR CLIPS IF YOU HAVE 2 OF THEM. OR THE CENTER ONE IF YOU HAVE A SINGLE PUMP SYSTEM. CHECK TO SEE IF YOUR COIL HAS A SHEET-METAL CENTERBODY, THESE ONLY LAST 10 YEAR

THE WHITE SMOKE COULD BE WORN OUT INTAKE VALVE GUIDES AND STEM SEALS, CRACKED OR WARPED HEAD OR SHOT HEAD GASKET (LOOSES COOLANT?) BADLY WORN PISTON RINGS, OR TOO MUCH WATER IN YOUR FUEL, WEAK IGNITION COIL. DO A COMPRESSION TEST TOO.... Thanks for the information. I have a voltmeter, how and where do I plac the voltmeter ends to test the pump. What type of numbers do I look for Keep in mind that there was a decent amount of smoke coming out of the ca when it was running. Im not sure what that was about....Chuc

-- dave_rose69

View this thread:

Send from

dave_rose69